Greensboro Piedmont Triad International Airport (GSO)
History, Facts and Overview
(Greensboro, North Carolina - NC, USA)
Located next to the village of Friendship, Greensboro's airport originated here many years ago, in 1927. Covering just over 100 acres / 40 hectares, the airfield began regular mail flights the following year and reopened in 1937, following the Great Depression. Now complete with two long runways and a building for passengers, Piedmont Triad Airport began operating services between Washington DC and other prominent US cities.
By the 1960s, the runways had been extended and a new modern terminal built. However, the next decade saw much growth and the need for a further terminal soon became apparent, which was completed in 1982. At this stage, the airport was named the Greensboro / Winston Salem / High Point Airport, changing to the Piedmont Triad International Airport (GSO) in 1987.
Currently, most facilities within the main, two-level terminal building at Greensboro's Piedmont Triad Airport are located on the upper floor including cashpoints, a FedEx counter, a shoeshine booth and a popular games room. A selection of shops and restaurants can also be found in the main atrium on the upper level and on both departures concourses, while car rental and hotel desks can be found on the lower level.
Greensboro Piedmont Triad Airport features a conference room situated on the lower floor and alongside the Baggage Reclaim area. The conference room comes with fundamental business facilities, including an overhead projector, telephone and flip charts, and is bookable for upwards of four hours. Also available onsite at the airport is the US Airways Executive Club Lounge.